Yes, I can share files.  I know that the problem could be on both ends,
but the reason I suspect my problem is more on the PC end is that after
setting up the emulated postscript printer, I couldn't even print a
test page.  I checked and rechecked all my configurations, and
continued to get error messages.  Nothing would work.

If I can't get that to work, there is no point in trying to get the
iMac to connect to the PC.  With one of the other methods, I did try to
configure the Mac, but I must have done something wrong there, too.
When the iMac would try to connect to the PC, I kept getting a "busy"
message.  It just failed all around.

I'm happy that I can print from the PC to the laser printer.  That's a
definite plus.  I'm sure the jetdirect will work well enough for me.
Since I do have 50% of it working, the PC printing to the Mac is
definitely the part I would prefer as it is easier to set up my
internet arrangement next to the PC than the Mac.