Michael Clarke wrote:

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your response!  I've decided to take a different route.  I found
an old Lexmark external print server (Marknet Pro 1), that's been sitting in
a cabinet for the last 5 years.  I know that was the recommended solution
for Gretchen already, but I thought that was just an OS X & TCP/IP solution.
This Lexmark supports both AppleTalk and TCP/IP, so I can use it with
Windows and Mac OS 9.2.2.  It was simple and (relatively) quick to set up.
I couldn't believe it!

Thanks? waste of bandwidth if you ask me. ;)
Glad you already had a option.
Heaps of info for the Lexmark around as well, seems only the Marknet pro 3 does appletalk according to this page:
http://www.argecy.com/4033.html#MarkNet%20Pro
Which isn't really a problem since your using tcp?

How have you set it up? a static address or it all works fine in with a dhcp setup? Interesting thing about appletalk is it will go places badly configured tcp wont and also through half rate firewalls. ;)

I'll stick to my nix box for use as a print-server. I've almost made enough mistakes to know what I'm doing.
File and printer sharing is a administrators job, with that in mind simple and (relatively) quick is good enough for mine.

Gretchen should only need tcp, once filesharing is working both ways the printer (atleast one) will follow, samba only requires a few ports open accross the lan to do both. These ports are blocked by default by most nix and need to be opened manually, I'd guess OS X does a better job of this but I dont have it to try. The router may also play a part in the mix, another job handled by the nix box.

Cheers