--- Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a pc question. How do I get a 4.3gb drive to
> functuion under
> win 95? Do I just partition it or am I better off
> installing 98.

If you have original 95 (or 95a with the service pack)
you're limited to 2gig partitions with FAT16.

Windows 95 OSR2 (OEM Service Release 2) also known as
95b, 95B or 95c depending on the version of Internet
Explorer included, has the ability to use FAT32.

Any Windows 95 CD-ROM with a 1996 or 1997 copyright
date is OSR2. Any Windows 95 CD-ROM with a 1995
copyright date is the original or 95a version.

FAT32 is roughly equivalent to HFS+. The underlying
structure is so close that a FAT32 formatted volume
only needs Erased to convert to HFS+ on MacOS 9.1
and up. (I've not tested to see if 8.1 to 8.6 can
support FAT32.)

I've found that may work to get some SCSI
drives going on a Mac. First FDISK and format as
FAT32 on a PC then connect to the Mac with PC Exchange
(File Exchange for 8.5 and up) installed and set to
load drivers for PC volumes. If the FAT32 drive will
mount you should be able to just use the Erase
menu item to make it HFS+. Also should work for
going from FAT16 to HFS standard. When it works it's
an easy "backdoor" to using drives Apple's formatter
won't touch.

=====
It's total Fandemonium!
http://www.fandemonium.org