Palm software has a program that watches the serial port. If the port is
being used by another application, like Appletalk, then you cannot sync your
palm through the port. Make sure Appletalk is not using the serial port. If
it is, either turn appletalk off or have appletalk connect through your
ethernet port.

Good luck.

Harry

on 10/31/2002 3:52 PM, Alex Whitman at alylex at earthlink.net wrote:

> I'm having almost the same problem as Suzanne Blake.
>
> I am running OS 10.2.1 and a Palm m105 (has a serial cabled cradle),
> have downloaded, unstuffed and installed Palm 4.0.3, and am using an
> IConcepts PDA USB adapter (the package specifically says, "Compatible
> with all popular brands of PDA" and "Compatible with Mac 10.1 or
> above").  The Palm software looks great on the iMac screen, but when I
> try to hot sync, the PDA says, "The connection between your handheld
> and the desktop could not be established."  In the Palm software, I
> have tried all the variants under HotSync--Software Setup--Connection
> Settings, with a restart after each change.  The PDA is a year old and
> worked just fine with my previous Win98 and WinXP computers.
>
> I would have preferred to buy the PalmConnect cable adaptor instead of
> the IConcepts, but when I was shopping for it 2 weeks ago it was out of
> stock at palm.com, Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA.  I *suspect*
> the problem is in the adaptor... but the fact that Suzanne, who isn't
> using an adaptor at all, is also stymied makes me wonder.
>
> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex Whitman
> alylex at earthlink.net
>

> The next meeting of the Louisville Computer Society will be November 26
> For more information, see <http://www.aye.net/~lcs>. A calendar of
> activities is at <http://www.calsnet.net/macusers>.

Harry,

Harry Jacobson-Beyer
Surveyor of the Passing Scene!

http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/a/harryjb/
What a strange, long, trip it is!

remember: it's not how fast you climb the hill that matters, it's how fast
you go coming down!