On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 10:03  PM, Ward Oldham wrote:

> Hey Alex,
>
> Also have your pda plugged into the cradle with pda on and see if the
> system
> profiler gives you any different results.
>
> Ward

AHA!!!

I played the shell game and rearranged all the cables several times,
restarting and checking the System Profiler each time.  I have finally
gotten the SP to acknowledge the PDA when the PDA is on and in the
cradle, as you suggest above.  (All 3 USB ports apparently do work
properly -- I was wondering.)  It still won't hot sync, but at least
now I can guess it's a software issue, and the adapter is not the
problem.

And sheesh... *looks chagrined*... I should have gone to eBay the first
time, because I paid $30 for this adapter!  Next time...

Now I'm going to reread your previous replies, Ward, and see if I can
follow your suggestions for the software.  Thanks!

Alex

The next meeting of the Louisville Computer Society will be November 26
For more information, see <http://www.aye.net/~lcs>. A calendar of
activities is at <http://www.calsnet.net/macusers>.