On 5/2/2017 2:25 PM, gburbeck wrote:
> so the output immediately after a reboot:
>
> $ uname -a
>
>     /Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-xenomai-r83 #1 Thu Jan 5 01:32:32 UTC 2017 armv71
>     GNU/Linux/

That should be fine.

> on trying to start machinekit -> the usual failure
> inspected /sys/class/uio -> still empty
> machinekit persistently failed to start
>
> reboot and did the same as above
> after the first failure
> inspected /sys/class/uio -> populated with eight symlinks uio0-uio7
>
> subsequent start of machinekit was successful

Hmm...maybe it's just a timing issue.  Can you try manually loading
the overlay prior to launching Machinekit?  To do this, reboot, and
before you try to launch machinekit run:

  config-pin overlay cape-universal

...then see if the uio devices are there.  If they are, Machinekit
should start normally.  If the uio symlinks aren't there, the problem
has something to do with the overlay not properly loading.

...but if it's a timing problem (the uio device symlinks taking too
long to show up), I'm not sure why they wouldn't eventually appear and
Machinekit ought to work if you tried launching it again.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net