The image I burned in relation to last message
was: bone-debian-8.7-machinekit-armhf-2017-02-12-4gb.img

Today I did:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

on the above system.

I read the email string and am trying to figure out what other than that I
would need to do. I do not see that he is getting the same error as I am.

After doing the above I get the same result.

I also tried:

Downloaded file from: https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/
configs/sim/axis/xhc-hb04

The .hal files from the above link do not appear to be correct. They gave
errors and I replaced with sim files generated through Configuration
Selector.

Same result.

I also tried:

user@INTEL-i7:/usr/src/machinekit/src/hal/utils$ realtime restart
user@INTEL-i7:/usr/src/machinekit/src/hal/utils$ halcmd loadrt debounce
user@INTEL-i7:/usr/src/machinekit/src/hal/utils$ halcmd show pexists
debounce.0.0.in
Exists
user@INTEL-i7:/usr/src/machinekit/src/hal/utils$ halrun -U

I am confused by this as the sequence of commands went in with no errors
but nothing visible happened. Is the object of this to get the return
"Exists" back? If so I got it back.

Thank you for you patience. I am slowly learning I think.... well I am
trying anyway :)