> On 01 Nov 2017, at 06:09, Jerry Trantow <jerry.tran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It seems like there is a missing step for configuring the cape???
>
> http://www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-started/getting-started-platform/ show
> a choice of installing Images, Packages, or a Development Platform. I have a
> home built gantry router/G540 that I originally controlled using LinuxCNC
> from an old Laptop and recently controlled with BBB MachineKit using the
> Comet Metric configuration using Images upto and including:
> 2017-10-02 - Debian 8 (Jessie) - Monthly
> BBW/BBB (All Revs) Machinekit
>
> microSD/Standalone: (machinekit) Based on Debian Jessie with 3.8.x kernel
>

> I have been using Axis running on the BBB and thought it was about time to
> try some of the other GUIs. Before I took this leap, I figured I would update
> to a newer Jessie version. I thought there would be little risk in updating
> to one of the image snapshots, but I have been stuck for the last several
> nights trying to get the following image to work.
> microSD/Standalone: (machinekit) Based on Debian Jessie with 4.13.x kernel
> with U-Boot Overlays
>

> I have my BBB GPIO directly connected to the G540 parallel port cable, so I
> don't have any external cape. I thought everything would be ok as the
> cape-universal should load by default? But running machinekit straight from
> the latest Image this is not the case.
>
> In the terminal window, I see
> MACHINEKIT - 0.1
> Machine configuration directory is
> '/home/machinekit/machinekit/configs/ARM.BeagleBone.Probotix'
> Machine configuration file is 'Comet_Metric.ini'
> Starting Machinekit...
> io started
> Unrecognized line skipped: POC     FMS     LEN     DIAM    COMMENT
> halcmd loadusr io started
> grep: /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots: No such file or directory
> bash: /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots: No such file or directory
> Error loading device tree overlay file: cape-universal
> Comet.hal:5: program './setup.sh' failed, returned 1
> Shutting down and cleaning up Machinekit..
>
> It seems like there is a step in the install directions missing for the
> latest kernels?
>
> The directions at
> https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Loading_custom_capes
> didn't make sense to me.
> First, I tried adding each of the following line to /etc/default/capemgr with
> no success.
> CAPE=cape-universal
> CAPE=cape-universal-00A0
> CAPE=cape-universal:00A0
>
> Then I looked up and tried to follow some device tree tutorials but I don't
> even see bone_capemgr in cd /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*
> Some tutorials mention /mtn/boot/uEnv.txt
>
> In /boot/uEnv.txt, I verified enable_uboot_cape_universal=1 and tried adding
> cape_enable/cape-universal
> ##Example v4.1.x
> #cape_disable=bone_capemgr.disable_partno=
> [...]

you probably still try to boot from the eMMC
have a look
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/machinekit/vSPXdPspyEs
or here
https://github.com/machinekit/Machinekit-HAL/issues/17#issuecomment-324722580
(and following comments)

grep -c bone_capemgr.uboot_capemgr_enabled=1 /proc/cmdline

should output a “1”
it probably doesn’t in your situation

have a look
so enable booting from the SD card:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcbkl1 count=1 seek=1 bs=128k