I saw a previous post reply by Robert Nelson to a similar problem.
That post mentioned grepping for  bone_capemgr.uboot_capemgr_enabled=1
which was already 1.

machinekit@beaglebone:~$ grep -c bone_capemgr.uboot_capemgr_enabled=1
/proc/cmdline
1

This post also mentioned running version.sh to identify components.

machinekit@beaglebone:~$ sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh
git:/opt/scripts/:[a5d5f437baeaa7f8e14d5ae037268abf7a67e88e]
eeprom:[A335BNLT00C04414BBBK6307]
model:[TI_AM335x_BeagleBone_Black]
dogtag:[Machinekit Debian Image 2017-10-29]
bootloader:[microSD-(push-button)]:[/dev/mmcblk0]:[U-Boot
2017.09-00002-g0f3f1c7907]
kernel:[4.13.10-bone-rt-r2]
nodejs:[v4.8.5]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_overlays=1]
uboot_overlay_options:[uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-UIO-00A0.dtbo]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_cape_universal=1]
pkg:[bb-cape-overlays]:[4.4.20171027.1-0rcnee1~jessie+20171027]
pkg:[bb-wl18xx-firmware]:[1.20170829-0rcnee1~jessie+20170829]
pkg:[firmware-ti-connectivity]:[20170823-1rcnee0~jessie+20170830]

And it looked like there was possible uboot confusion between SD and eMMMC
so last night I flashed the image.

bootloader:[eMMC-(default)]:[/dev/mmcblk1]:[U-Boot
2017.09-00002-g0f3f1c7907] (only change was mmcblk0 to 1)

Still no love, so I modified my setup.sh to avoid the error about loading
the universal overlay which got me closer.

MACHINEKIT - 0.1
Machine configuration directory is
'/home/machinekit/machinekit/configs/ARM.BeagleBone.Probotix'
Machine configuration file is 'Comet_Metric.ini'
Starting Machinekit...
io started
Unrecognized line skipped: POC     FMS     LEN     DIAM    COMMENT
halcmd loadusr io started
*cape-universal check skipped. (my message from modified setup.sh)*
P9_25 pinmux file not found!
WARNING: GPIO pin not exported, cannot set direction or value!
bash: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_25_pinmux/state: No such file or
directory
Cannot write pinmux file: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_25_pinmux/state
Comet.hal:5: program './setup.sh' failed, returned 1

So beyond the overlay check, there is a conflict with the default
cape-universal and some of the pins? If I comment out the entire export
pins section or selectively remove P9_25, P9_28, P9_29, P9_31 , I get
through the setup script (*bold are from my mods to setup.sh*) but insmod
fails.

io started
Unrecognized line skipped: POC     FMS     LEN     DIAM    COMMENT
halcmd loadusr io started
*Skip cape-universal overlay load with kernel >3.8.*

*Skip export GPIO pins with (kernel >3.8).*
Comet.hal:20: insmod failed, returned -1:
rtapi_app_main(hal_pru_generic): -1 Operation not permitted

I think I am really close but it looks like I still need to fix something
between the default cape-universal overlay and the setup.sh GPIO export?
I double checked my notes and the assignments in setup.sh match my previous
configurations (and wiring) that I was using with hdmi enabled.

P9-25 ZDIR         SW2
P9-28 YDIR/Y1DIR   PRU0 Red LED
P9-29 XDIR         PRU0 Green LED
P9-31 XSTEP        PRU0 Blue LED

I found some old notes that mention P9-28, P9-29, P9-30 conflict with the
Probotics configuration. Does the eMMC need P9-25?
If this is the case, should I go back to running off SD and use:

BeagleBone Black: HDMI Audio/eMMC disabled:

dtb=am335x-boneblack-nhdmi-overlay.dtb

Or would this enable the PRUs and run from eMMC?

   - cape-universaln Exports all pins not used by HDMI and eMMC (no audio
   pins are exported)