Here's the change I made to setup.sh to conditionally use slots with
kernels <=3.8.

#
#  Slots changed to device tree overlays after 3.8
#
major=$(uname -r | cut -f 1 -d '.')
minor=$(uname -r | cut -f 2 -d '.')

if [[ $major -lt 3 || ( $major -eq 3 && $minor -le 8 ) ]] ; then
        #
        # Older slots method
        #
        SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots

        # Make sure required device tree overlay(s) are loaded
        for DTBO in cape-universal ; do

                if grep -q $DTBO $SLOTS ; then
                        echo $DTBO overlay found
                else
                        echo Loading $DTBO overlay
                        sudo -A su -c "echo $DTBO > $SLOTS" || dtbo_err
                        sleep 1
                fi
        done;
else
        #
        # Use U-boot /boot/uEnv.txt to load capes.
        #
        echo "Kernel version is greater than 3.8, no need for slots. See
/boot/uEnv.txt"
fi