<adding list to the reply>

On 12/21/2017 8:29 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> I see a couple problems
>
> 1) the "Arduino computable" pins are 3.3 volts and will be damaged if
> connected to a device that expects an actual Arduino that is 5 volts.   So
> these pins are in the same place but are 3.3 volt.   I have this same
> problem with my Nuceol ARM boards, Arduino pinout but at 3V3.

Yeah, that's an issue.  I don't think it is a big problem for driving
a couple stepper drivers, but a careful review of the pin-outs will be
important before actually powering anything or you could fry the Soc+FPGA.

> 2) It might be hard to run Linux as there is no CPU on this board.  You can
> load a "soft CPU" into the FPGA but it is not the correct type and also
> VERY slow at 100MHz.

Sorry, wrong link.  I mean the Arty Z7 with the dual-core ARM Cortex A9:

http://store.digilentinc.com/arty-z7-apsoc-zynq-7000-development-board-for-makers-and-hobbyists/

> What baffles me is that if you are using these boards for a Day Job them
> you must know a lot more about them then I do. So I might be missing
> something.  I got REALLY excited when I read "FPGA" and yu wanted to use
> these for running Linux based software.  I hoped that would have BOTh the
> ARM CPU for Linus and have an integrated FPGA.  That would be very nice to
> have on an Arduino size board for $100,   I'd buy one.

Yeah...my bad.  I do mean the ones that can run Linux.  Sadly, it's
$150 and not $100, but that's not too bad.  If you want a board for
around $100, the DE0-Nano-SoC is in that price range, and it's
replacement the DE10-Nano is in-between ($130).

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Charles Steinkuehler <
> char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:
>
>> Anyone got a recipe or scripts for generating a working Zynq uSD image
>> that includes Machinekit?  I've got a (day-job) project that will be
>> targeting a low-end Zynq board with HDMI in, and I'm thinking of using
>> the Arty board:
>>
>> http://store.digilentinc.com/arty-a7-artix-7-fpga-
>> development-board-for-makers-and-hobbyists/
>>
>> ...which has Arduino headers, meaning it would be pretty trivial to
>> add some stepper driver to make a pan/tilt platform along with the
>> video in.
>>
>> --
>> Charles Steinkuehler
>> char...@steinkuehler.net