on 10/4/01 12:54 PM, Scott Stevenson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think this is sort of the wrong way to look at it.

Not quite sure if I'd agree with you there - I think Thomas had it right the
first time.

> Apple brought Mac applications to the Unix world, the preferences came
> along for the ride.

I've been using Linux systems for a long time, and so far, I haven't had any
app that required thrashing of prefs, as far as I recall - that has always
been a uniquely mac experience (granted, easy fixes, but I was kinda hoping
that the move to the Unix platform would have eliminated this kind of
problem -- particularly since the NeXT advocates have often accused
'resource forks' to be the cause of such corruptions.

Apparently, that is not entirely true, if this problem persists in OS X...

On the other hand, since the same folks that wrote apps capable of
corrupting prefs on the Mac are now writing the same quality apps on OS X,
it stands to reason that the baggage comes along for the ride - this, I take
it, appears to be the price to pay for a  'modern Mac OS' -- instability.

Again, in all fairness, I'm hoping that as the OS matures, this will
stabilize...

Oh, and I'd still like to know what the 'few' apps that he's been installing
are - it would help ALL of us to know more about the specifics of the
configuration that leads to such problems.

Harry

---
http://www.zinkdifferent.com

"Virtue does not come from money, but rather from virtue comes money,
and all things good to man" -Socrates

To unsubscribe send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To search the archives:
          <http://www.mail-archive.com/macie-talk%40lists.boingo.com/>