On Tuesday, October 9, 2001, at 07:30 PM, Brad Pettit wrote:

> My descriptions here are based on MacIE 5.0 behavior. Apple changed
> some things about Internet Config for OSX, but the basics should still
> apply.

There's no user-level interface to Internet Config anywhere in OS X,
correct?

> For actual files, the behavior differs depending on whether the file is
> ultimately loaded via the file system or http. This means behavior
> while testing a page locally (or via a file-share) may differ from
> accessing the file via http.

In this case, the behavior is the same.

> file-system access relies on "Outgoing" File Helpers to turn a file
> suffix and file type into a MIME type.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

>> [2] Why does file helpers say the file should be saved to disk instead
>> of being displayed in the browser?
>
> IE wouldn't have done that.

I don't see what else would have. This is a 100% fresh install of 10.1.
The only third party applications I've used since reformat/reinstall are
BBEdit and Word test drive. I'm pretty confident this is how IE 5.1.2 is
after install.

>> Also, if I attempt to change the handling for PNG in file helpers, the
>> settings are not preserved. They have reverted to the defaults each
>> time
>> I open the file helpers panel.
>
> That sounds like some utility or startup program is stomping on them.

Within 5 seconds? :)  Here's the scenario:

Make changes -> Close Preferences -> Reopen preferences -> defaults are
back

I tried quitting IE a few times and some other voodoo.

> Or else there's a problem with IE or the system with saving the file
> after changes are made.

My vote is for this one.

> You might try creating a new Internet prefs file from scratch, or see
> if one of your graphics utilities has a "handle downloaded files"
> preference.

Don't have any graphic utilities other than Photoshop back in classic.

> Please try the "support" button in the about dialog to help diagnose
> problems like this. The report contains a list of the file helper
> mappings in use (just in case there are multiple handlers).

PNG doesn't appear anywhere in this list.

Best Regards,

    - Scott

--
Scott Stevenson