On Wednesday, October 10, 2001, at 03:56 PM, Harry Zink wrote:

> - This is on a fresh install of OS X, 10.1, which was applied over a
> completely fresh (reformat drive) install of 10.0.4 (which is the only
> way
> to install OS X right now - even the developer installation disks that
> Apple
> just sent me still look for a prior X installation, which is strange,
> but a
> different issue).

I expect the 10.1 retail box doesn't require this.

Actually you can go one step further with the upgrade, though. The 10.1
installer will allow you to reformat your drive prior to installation
(which is what I did). This might make a difference for some people.

> It appears, in my opinion, that even if the File helper Collection that
> ships with OS X is bad, the fact that no one seems able to update their
> file
> helper settings without having them revert is indicative of a
> permissions
> problem on the part of OS X.

I actually tried changing the file mappings again after failing several
times. This time the modifications stuck.

All I had to due to solve the PNG viewing problem (as discussed at
Macintouch) was to change the handling for image/png and image/x-png
from "Save to File" to "View with Browser." Works perfectly now, but the
issue still remains as to why it ships in this configuration.

     - Scott

--
Scott Stevenson
http://wildtofu.com/