(sigh)

- This is on a fresh install of OS X, 10.1, which was applied over a
completely fresh (reformat drive) install of 10.0.4 (which is the only way
to install OS X right now - even the developer installation disks that Apple
just sent me still look for a prior X installation, which is strange, but a
different issue).

- OS X 10.1 comes with a new version of IE 5.12, hence no 'new install' of
IE 5.12 is possible, or even needed.

The described behavior appears right out of the box of this installation.

It appears, in my opinion, that even if the File helper Collection that
ships with OS X is bad, the fact that no one seems able to update their file
helper settings without having them revert is indicative of a permissions
problem on the part of OS X.

One could try loggin in as proverbial 'root' and seeing if the problem goes
away at that point.

Harry