Greg,

Is it possible you have a hardware problem? Perhaps the TM disk or the source
disk is failing, and the backup is taking so long because of difficulties
reading or writing files.

Is there any useful information in the Console app?

The only time I've seen TM consistently take this long is on PPC hardware
running 10.5.

-Matt