On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [E] wrote:

> Both machines use an internal hard drive for the TM backups.

Ok.  I do TM to a network server over both Wifi and a wired ethernet. The wired
ethernet is much faster to back up the same amount of data.  So it was one area
to explore.

>  Both TM backup drives still have a lot of empty space, though the TM drive
> at home is larger than the TM drive at work.

Having enough empty space is an issue, though not what I was asking.  I was
wondering about the disks being backed up.  How big are those (how much data is
on them versus how big they are)?

> I certainly have a few files at home that are larger than those at work, such
> as videos, but I exclude the Movies, Music, and Pictures directories from my
> TM backups, so that should not be the problem.

I am more concerned about a lot of small files.  My datasets that are a small
number of big files get backed up by TM much faster than the same overall size
of dataset composed of a ton of smaller files.   It does comparisons on all the
file files and reading file info and comparing it for 200 gb worth of small
files takes a lot more time than the same amount of effort for a small number
of larger files.   All the file attribute comparisons etc I am guessing (since
I am not intimately familiar with TM innards).

Chad