>Should I reinstall the developer software, making sure I'm not leaving
 >somthing out? (I can't remember if there is a 'custom' install possibility
 >with the dev package that maybe I didn't check.)  This might also fix the
 >lack of echo when using CPAN.  Am I the only one who gets this 'no-echo'
 >effect when using CPAN?  It happens on both of my computers!

I would definitely reinstall the Developer package. I haven't seen any of
the similar errors that you are reporting - but unfortunately, I installed
the Developer package from day one. I have been able to successfully
install various modules through CPAN, and yes, echo was on.

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/
http://www.gamegrene.com/