At 6:35 PM -0600 3/17/02, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>I am glad I asked, because I just spent a good part of last night
>setting up Mason. I can't get it to work correctly because my
>mod_perl is buggered up (my previous emails ask for help on that
>issue), but I have got it working as a

That particular message shouldn't interfere with most operations (my
Perl is running that way as well, I haven't got around to setting the
language in the startup scripts, I keep hoping Apple will release the
correct patches for Perl).

>CGI (being called via handler.pl). So, I have one vote for Mason,
>and now one vote for Embperl... choice is good, but choice is also
>confusing... but heck, that _is_ the Perl way, no :-)
>
>I will give Embperl a go now and see how it compares to Mason.

The Embperl mailing list is quite active, and support there is quite
good.  However the main reason I like Embperl (aside from 2.0, which
allows you to embed Perl in just about anything) is that it
understands the syntax of the language.  That means that filling in a
form, for instance, from a database lookup is a matter of setting the
%fdat hash to the values from the database, and Embperl handles
filling in all of the form values.  It understands how to loop in
pulldown menus and fill in the correct values for all the choices.
And very importantly (from a security standpoint) it understands how
to escape output.  So that <b>[+ $foo +]</b> will be  HTML escaped,
but <a href="[+ $foo +]"> will be URL escaped.

I just find that it saves me a lot of programming work.
--

Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
http://consulting.somewhere.com/

everyone else's.