>I could be totally off base, but doesn't the env utility provide
>functionality to solve this issue?  I don't use env so I could be
>wrong, but I -thought- that I had read somewhere that
>
>#!/usr/bin/env perl
>
>Would evaluate to the perl environment variable (which it is assumed
>would point to your perl interpreter).
>
>Can someone please correct me on this if I am wrong, I know that it
>works for Python.

Should work, assuming your system has it.  (Certainly seems to be in
MacOS X and on my 6.x RedHat system).

Of course this kind of solution is inherently dangerous given that
/usr/bin/perl and /usr/local/bin/perl may be different versions for
good reasons, and letting the interpreter executed depend on a user's
path can get you in trouble.
--

Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
http://consulting.somewhere.com/