Puneet Kishor iwaku

> The bottomline is -- whatever the fancy architecture behind these
> machines, whatever the Macworld demos by Mr. Jobs might demo, Macs are
> generally slower
[...]

Okay, one more time around --

(1) The compiler optimizations are tuned to the iNTEL architecture.
There's no way getting around this, unless you have money to re-educate
and feed the guys who own GCC while they get up to full speed on PPC.
Had the same problems with the 68K.

A lot of tricks to optimize x86 code work backwards on a decently
architected CPU, incidentally.

In a loose estimate, that accounts for about 10% to 300% of the speed
difference, depending on the application.

(2) The Mac OSses have always done more for us than the MS OSses. (That
explains the "subjective" difference in usability, OK?) The time for
that has to come from somewhere, and that is in my mind the singular
most significant benefit of dual CPUs. One CPU can be minding your mouse
while the other crunches.

Among the topics I'm waving my hands at here is the fact that making the
interrupt architecture more responsive and more flexible for general
processes will slow down specific individual tasks on a given CPU
(algorithmic flaws aside).

As a rough guess, this kind of stuff will account for another 30% to 150%
of the speed difference. (Again, depending on what you're doing.)

(3) The legacy stuff from Classic, because it did so much more than DOS
ever could, provides a significant amount of drag on the system. Just
having it available will slow the system down 3% to 10% from what it
could be getting, and having the Classic system actually running will
slow the system down 10% to 50% or more, again, as a rough estimate.

(4) We have stray reports from the various attempts to port Mac OS
to the iNTEL architecture that it runs faster "over there". It should.
In addition to the compiler writer training effects I mentioned above,
re-implementations should generally be more efficient than original
implementations.

You can push some of the efficiency back to the original implementation,
but you have to test any changes you bring back pretty thoroughly. Ports
are expected to have stupid errors, so the testing requirements are
significantly lower on the new implementation.

Incidentally, a lot of the speed gain going from 68K to PPC were
re-implementation effects. A 68060 running 66 MHz and and a PPC running
66 MHz were not that much different in raw speed over a good mix of
reasonably optimized code. (Most of the really fancy instructions in the
68020+ were not useful, however.)

Is that enough, or should I continue? If you really want speed, you
don't go to another general purpose OS, you use dedicated systems, and
you choose a CPU you know how to generate optimal code for.

(What I keep waiting for Apple to do is put out a machine with one
relatively cheap processor dedicated to the user interface, another
relatively cheap processor for the file system, and a real hot-dog
processor to crunch numbers. But I don't think technology is quite up to
it yet, from the production and maintenance costs point of view.)

> That said, I still prefer 'em over any other platform, but certainly
> not for their speed. In spite of them being noticeably slow, they
> enable me to work faster.

This is the bottom line for me. I don't care how fast a machine crunches
numbers if it doesn't help me get my job done. I strongly suspect I'd be
more productive on on old PowerPC 7100 running 8.6 than on this 900+ MHz
MSW2k box with a gigabyte of RAM.

Sure, I can use a Q&D Java program with less than 50 lines to compute
all the factorials from 0 to 5000 in under a second on this box, and my
300 MHz Mac OS X iBook with 192K RAM takes around 5 seconds on the same
program. On a 7100, who knows? several minutes? But how often would I do
that in a day?

On MSW2k, I have Active State's Perl doing some repetitive tasks for me.
On Mac OS, I can control the mouse and the system well enough that I
just do lots of these things by hand. Saves me the time to write the
script.

I'm preaching to the choir, I'm sure. I'll shut up.

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>