I use Terminal *all* the time, and haven't seen any real speed issues,
so the tip below, or some other issue would seem to be a likely culprit.

True it's slightly slower than say xterms on a Linux box, but nothing
like so much as to affect useability.

OTOH, I have seen Terminal crash quite a few times. Not frequently
enough to be a serious problem, but more than I would have expected
(i.e. never).