>Have you tried building Apache 1.3.27 with mod_perl 1.27 on your Perl
>5.8.0 setup?  I'd be really curious to see if it works.  My conclusion,
>after a weekend of suffering, is that it doesn't.  If you or anybody could
>show that it's possible and list build steps, I'd be very grateful indeed.

On my primary machine, I reverted back to 5.6.0, primarily because I
develop a Cocoa/Perl bridge for my AmphetaDesk [1] - the bridge is built
for Perl 5.6.0, and is thus not compatible with a 5.8.0 install (as warned
in the Perl documentation). My choices were to either use the latest Perl
(thus, testing AmphetaDesk on a system that very few OS X/AmphetaDesk users
would have), or to stay as close to a virgin OS X machine as possible. For
my user's interest, I stuck with the latter (this ignores the possibility
of installing Perl 5.8.0 contrary to my article, in a user-selected
directory, not Apple's).

>Meanwhile I'm sticking to 5.6.0, flawed as it is, and installing modules
>by hand rather than via CPAN.pm in an effort to stay away from 5.8.0. :(

You should really consider upgrading CPAN. After upgrading to the latest
CPAN, I've had no problems with it attempting to install 5.8.0 (even with
an old CPAN, you could Ctrl+C your way past most "must install 5.8.0!"
idiocies).

[1] http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/

--
Morbus Iff ( relax have a happy meal )