At 8:13 PM +0100 1/12/03, Jens-Christoph Brendel wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I installed Perl 5.8 successfully a while ago. It worked very well under 10.2.2.
>Since I upgraded to 10.2.3 recently I get an error message every time I start perl
>that says:
>
>"perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = "de"
>    are supported and installed on your system.
>perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Hey, I know this one!

I had the same problem when I installed 5.8.  My character
sorting needs are pretty straightforward and I'm comfortable
with C sorting, so I just needed to explicitly set locale to C
to make the warning go away.

You can set either LANG or LC_ALL to C.  For perl under
the shell, add "setenv LANG C" to your .cshrc.

If you want to fix it for all guis, you need to add the
following to your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist:

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
        <plist version="0.9">
        <dict>
         <key>LC_ALL</key>
         <string>C</string>
        </dict>
        </plist>

If you just want to fix it in emacs,  you can set the locale
in your .emacs.

--
Heather Madrone  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://www.madrone.com
Reality: deeper than I dreamed.