On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 04:25 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

So, gang, can we brainstorm up a solution that meets our needs AND is
sanitary and safe for Apple to implement?  (It would be REALLY BAD to
solve this problem and create a bigger problem in the process.  :-)

I'm more of an onloooker than a member of the gang, but I don't know, Rich.

In order to handle version transitions cleanly, the run-time library has
to know which version of which modules it's supposed to have, and the
programs which link into it have to know which version they want. Java
can almost handle that.

Is perl there yet? Can a program go to the perl library and say, "I need
to link to HTML::FormatText, any version between n and m," and expect to
be understood?

From http://search.cpan.org/author/INGY/only-0.25/lib/only.pm :

only - Load specific module versions; Install many

It doesn't solve exactly the same problem, but getting close.

/doug