On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Christian Schneider wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:23:05 +0100
> From: Christian Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Ken Y. Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Christian Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Compiling libapreq 1.1 on Mac OS 10.2.4
>
> Ken,
>
> the patch seems to be part of the libapreq distribution. There's a
> directory called patches (at least in the distribution I have, I can
> e-mail the patch to you if you don't have it).
>
> However, I found one detail missing in the README. It says one should
> do:
> patch -p0 < ../apreq.patch (or the appropriate path to it).
>
> But you also have to do the following:
> cp libapreq/c/*.[ch] apache/src/lib/apreq (you might have to change the
> name of the directories)
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> chris
>
> PS: Please note that I am not subscribed to the apreq-dev list and
> cannot send replies to that list.

Chris,

Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't tried that yet.  I freshly unpacked
libapreq, mod_perl and Apache, built mod_perl like so:

    perl Makefile.PL \
        APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.27/src/ \
        DO_HTTPD=1 \
        USE_APACI=1 \
        PREP_HTTPD=1 \
        EVERYTHING=1

Then I moved to the Apache source tree and applied the patch and
copied the necessary files (the latest "patches/README" in libapreq do
mention both steps now) and built Apache.  I was rather hopeful that
this would work when I saw this:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.27]# ./configure
    --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=rewrite
    --enable-module=proxy --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
    Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.27
     + using installation path layout: Darwin (config.layout)
     + activated perl module (modules/perl/libperl.a)
    Creating Makefile
    Creating Configuration.apaci in src
    Creating Makefile in src
     + configured for Darwin platform
     + setting C compiler to gcc
     + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E -traditional-cpp
     + checking for system header files
     + adding selected modules
        o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
          enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
        o perl_module uses ConfigStart/End
          + mod_perl build type: OBJ
          + id: mod_perl/1.27
          + id: Perl/v5.8.0 (darwin) [perl]
          + setting up mod_perl build environment
          + adjusting Apache build environment
          + enabling Perl support for SSI (mod_include)
     + using system Expat
     + building with static apreq
     + checking sizeof various data types
     + doing sanity check on compiler and options
    Creating Makefile in src/support
    Creating Makefile in src/regex
    Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
    Creating Makefile in src/ap
    Creating Makefile in src/main
    Creating Makefile in src/lib/apreq          <---- looks OK, right?
    Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
    Creating Makefile in src/modules/proxy
    Creating Makefile in src/modules/perl

"make install" went fine for Apache, but I still get the "undefined
symbols" when "use Apache::Request;" occurs in my Perl startup file.

Any other suggestions?

ky