>I was wondering if anyone here is using a MacOS X box with a fixed IP
>cable DSL account as a commercial grade web server? Is this a
>reasonable alternative to using a hosting company like Verio?

This... this is a touchy subject, I think. I have my own feelings
about it, and they may not be typical. Certainly take them with
a grain of salt - I work at an ISP, and my opinions may be
heavily deluded with "you need more than consumer access".

My opinion is thusly:

* you can do it, yes, but I wouldn't.

There are a few factors, really:

 * your dsl/cable provider may restrict you from doing so,
   both from the filtering of web traffic, from the restriction
   of their AUP, or just generically, DSL leases, equipment
   renumbering, and a "dynamic static IP" (where it's static
   for as long as they want it to be, but they've got no
   contract to continue providing you the same number).

 * the reason the "Slashdot effect" exists ISN'T because servers
   are old, or because of the mindless hordes, it is solely
   because a) pages contain a lot of data, or b) you run
   out of traffic. I've survived seven Slashdot effects on
   a meagre T1 and smart layout/design of pages. I doubt you'd
   be able to do the same on a dsl/cable equivalent.

 * you're not just web serving. you'd also have to find someone
   to wear the security princess hat (ie., you're putting your
   own box on your the web full time - who's handling security?
   who's running checks and balances? how many personal files
   are left on the machine? what happens when it goes down?
   what's your backup strategy?), as well as someone who is
   going to host your zone record. and, what about mail
   for the domain? are you sure you're just doing webhosting,
   or are you up for doing DNS and email as additional
   supplements? what about FTP/SSH services?

 * as a corollary to the above, are you going to handle the above
   on a full-time basis? I feel like everyday, at the ISP, I'm
   running around internet-cop'ing someone else's moron that
   thinks they can run their own servers off their MSCE and
   RHCE certificates. does your dsl and cable provider
   give you proper reverse DNS?

* are you providing hosting on your box besides your own?

I work at a web host/ISP. I have DSL (much to my chagrin). I write
about Apache and OS X professionally. I don't think I'd run anything
"serious" off my box (anything besides fileshare networks, interim
FTP servers for massive file uploads, or port 8888'd web servers
for demonstrative testing). It just feels *wrong* and *cheap* -
I can recall too many stories of people advertising webhosting
off their DSL accounts, and then pages coming to an absolute
crawl during peak periods, bad weather, admin idiocy, or what
have you. Please don't make the web a world of Geocities.

-- Morbus Iff ( i put the demon back in codemonkey ) Culture: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.gamegrene.com/ Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom icq: 2927491 / aim: akaMorbus / yahoo: morbus_iff / jabber.org: morbus