On Mar 20, 2005, at 3:50 PM, David Linton wrote:

I'm new round here (just bought a new Mac with Mac OS 10.3.5). I want to build perl apps that can have things dropped on them and display alerts and file chooser dialogues.

For simple things - i.e. dropping some files on a script and having them appear as command-line arguments - have a look at Wil Sanchez' DropScript. It can make droplets from any script, including Perl.

For more involved applications requiring a full GUI toolkit, have a look at CamelBones. It's a bridge for writing Cocoa apps in Perl. There's a new version (1.0 beta1) coming at the end of the week.

I'm used to using perl with Unix and MacPerl on Mac OS 8 (and earlier).

I've recently (last Friday) released ShuX 3.0-beta1, a Cocoa/Perl version of the venerable MacPerl "Shuck" application. It's indispensable if you've grown used to Shuck and your eyes cringe at the thought of using "perldoc" to read pods in fixed-width Monaco. :-)

sherm--