On Mar 21, 2005, at 11:28 PM, Ken Williams wrote:

I think there should be no restrictions on the filename. Some people compile debugging binaries and call them /usr/local/bin/perldb.

I'm with you so far - It makes sense to allow selection of any file beginning with perl*.

Some people name their binaries after their dogs.

... but in my opinion, that's going too far. The "Perl" button isn't intended to be compatible with every possible Perl configuration - it's purpose is to provide a dead simple way to handle the most common configurations.

Odd configurations - such as Perl binaries named "rover" - are the reason why there's also an "add" button that creates a completely empty DocSet.

If you need to find the other components of that installation, you can consult the %Config entries.

That's what it does now. When you select a perl, it uses that perl to run "perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{privlib}", and several other one-liner commands.

sherm--