On Jun 24, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

On 2005.6.25, at 08:35 AM, Ted Zeng wrote:

My problem is it provides much more than I need.
Are your sure?
Of cause I am sure.

I just need to log in to another Mac to execute
commands there. I don't care securities, or anything.
rlogin is good enough for me.

Well, there is a company taking contracts from the credit card companies that "just needed some real world data to test something with" and "wasn't going to have that data where it could be accessed improperly". And how many hundreds of thousands of credit card numbers worldwide have been stolen?
I know that. I know ssh is very useful in many cases. But I don't need it. The network is internal. And there is nothing in the machines that are worth protecting.
In fact, I use telnet on PCs to deal with the same problem.

I have a solution that try to protect some credit card data from stolen
to solve my problem that has nothing to protect.

I don't want to copy a public key over to that machine ( I don't have to
in Panther. But have to in Tiger)

This doesn't really make sense. Are you sure that you didn't connect by hand in pather once, and answer the query about whether you would accept the certificate or not? Once the certificate was accepted, perl in Panther might have been accessing the user's .ssh?

I reboot the machines and map the disk image to the drive every time.
  In Panther, the disk image doesn't have .ssh.
I do set up an account and password in the disk image. I use password authorization
to access Panther.
But I could not do the same with Tiger. The perl script always ask me to type in password by hand. But my goal is automation. To avoid this, I have to put a public key
to the target machine and use identity key authorization to access it.

I keep thinking there should be an option that would solve my problem.
I have compared sshd_config files from Tiger and Panther today and just
could not see how.

Are there any environment files that didn't get transferred or rebuilt, or, if you just upgraded, were there some settings files that got erased?
I have looked at the sshd_config files. It seems to me that is the only possible difference
in settings.

 before I could talk to that machine.
This is a nightmare to me.

Eventually, this kind of thing will get straightened out a bit. But we who write programs still need to be aware of when we need to identify and when we need to encrypt and when we can just spit data. (If we don't, who will?)

The problem is I know I just need to spit data, but I couldn't.

ted zeng