On Oct 17, 2007, at 5:25 PM, brian d foy wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Scripting Bridge
Use Objective-C, Ruby, and Python programs to automate Mac
applications. The new Scripting Bridge enables them to easily
generate AppleEvents using a concise, AppleScript-like syntax.

Mac OS X comes with Mac::Carbon, I thought. IS the issue that you won't
have the right things available to you on the other side when you
distribute applications?

Yes, it does come with Mac::Carbon, and yes there is CamelBones. I just think that Apple seems to ignore mentioning perl in their fancy marketing campaigns. I get frustrated by that since there is a misunderstanding about perl in the marketplace and companies like Apple are in a position to do something about it.

Apple
trumpets its POSIX conformation yet what UNIX is worth its weight in
cat5 cable if it doesn't come with perl?

Mac OS X comes with Perl. Perhaps you meant to say "CamelBones", but I
don't think POSIX cares about that.

It looks like I will have to stick with debian for developing my LAMP
applications.

If you want to work on the Mac, you still can. It doesn't sound like
you want to though.

It may sound like that to you, but if I didn't want to develop (in perl) on the Mac, why would I bother writing about this at all?

I just had hoped for more publicity for perl from Leopard. I had also hoped for a new version of perl and Apache 2.0 out of the box. Okay, getting 5.10 into Leopard isn't realistic and maybe Apache will be updated for Leopard, and yes, a stable platform is a worthy goal for users (I am beginning to convince myself I am wrong) but I think that Apple could have provided more for developers in regard to perl.

        Jeremiah