On Oct 18, 2007, at 4:43 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Chris Nandor wrote:

Not sure what you mean by
losing things from upstream.

Just that when I chose to compile software on my own, I lose all the debian security work.

They look over packages and report vulnerabilities, I can just update with apt-get and get a new version - if I compile from source then I have to follow security warnings for the software I installed on my own. This is not a big deal if we are just talking about two or three applications, but if you are supporting a platform or a distribution, having the debian security do security for thousands of packages becomes a service that money cannot buy.

Sorry, I'm confused -- why not just use Debian then?

You're basically saying you want their custom build & distribution service, but that is (naturally, one might think) only available on their Linux distribution.

Apple already maintains the core OS software, including bundled open source packages like Perl, but if that isn't enough for you, and Debian is, then what exactly are you asking for?