On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2012, at 07:16, Titus von Boxberg wrote:
>
>> Am 15.10.2012 13:47, schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>>>
>>> I agree generally with what jmr wrote earlier: any port not respecting the
>>> value of configure.compiler should be made to do so. That will solve the
>>> problem.
>>
>> Would that solve the apr issue?
>>
>> I thought that the problem was caused by the buildbot
>> having installed an older Xcode than my computer.
>>
>> When I run port -v configure apr on my machine it says
>> "checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/clang -E"
>>
>> So apr does seem to respect the value of configure.compiler?
>
> apr does respect configure.compiler, but it bakes the discovered value into
> its apr-config script, which other programs, like serf1, then later use to
> determine the compiler. So it is serf1 and maybe other ports that use apr
> that need to be fixed to respect configure.compiler.

I wouldn't say serf1, or any other port, is broken by trusting apr-config's
compiler, that should be a correct value.

Fixing it in serf1 isn't the real fix either.   It's one thing for us to modify
serf1, but people that have closed source, commercial code, like I do, that
compiles and links against apr shouldn't need to fix or change apr-config's
results, it should be a good value.  So I like the idea of post-activate
tweaking apr-config, it solves all of the issues (that I'm aware of).

Blair