On Oct 15, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2012, at 09:09, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> Have we decided on which approach we want to take for this (in what I think
>> is decreasing order of likelihood)?
>>
>> - We can change the compiler on activate, but that still can break if the
>> user upgrades xcode at some point while it's installed
>
> If we do this it might make sense to make a portgroup of it, since I can
> think of several ports that will need it.

that make sense to me

>> - We could provide our own cc/ld/whatever as scripts that always point to
>> the 'correct' compiler
>
> How should we communicate the correct compiler to that script? And/or would
> we need separate scripts for each kind of compiler?

I don't know - I imagine we can look to the other projects that do this for
inspiration.

(We would probably want the scripts to read the configured value for 'normal'
use, but also respect any possible override when being called from port, I
guess).

>> - we could provide our own cc/ld/whatever that might also fix other issues
>> (ie, that won't link with thinks in /usr/local)
>
> I thought we didn't know how to make cc/ld/whatever not link with things in
> /usr/local? We've always said if we knew how to do that we'd do it.

We can't change dyld (AFAIK), but I believe we've always had (at least) three
options for cc/ld/whatever:
1. -nostdinc + add back all of the non /usr/local paths
2. custom-built version of cc/ld/whatever that is patched to not search
/usr/local
3. fix up trace mode (or it's successor) so it can be used all the time

--
Daniel J. Luke