  From: Ryan Dour
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:40 PM
  Subject: Re: iPod has gone corrupted

  Oh, I have an idea of what may be happening.

  Do you have the nano? YOu can put it into a restore mode by doing the
following. Without sighted assistance this may be a bit of a challenge.

  1. Hold the select (center of the wheel) and the menu (top of the wheel) down
together for about 10 seconds. Release and hold again if the iPod does nothing.
You should hear a pop in your headphones, or the music your playing should
suddenly cut off. While I'm writing this, that may be the best way to do it,
play something so you know when you have a successful reboot.
  2. Immediately release your command and press instead select and play/pause
together. If you're successful, the resotre screen will show up. In your case,
the best way to know if you've got it right is to wait and see after about two
minutes if running your finger around the click wheel makes clicks. If it does,
you need to start over again, it booted and missed the opportunity to get into
restore mode.
  3. Once in restore mode, connect your iPod to your computer.

  Now, your iPod should show up as normal. Restore it from the settings pane.
If not, it for sure will show up in Disk Utility where a restore can be
performed after formatting the internal disk.

  You didn't answer one of my questions, got an Apple Store near where you
live? If you're not sure, visit http://www.apple.com/retail and run through the
store listings. There is a quick pop-up where you choose your state and then
choose a store. I don't know where you live, but I'm assuming the United
States. If not, there is a full store listing that includes world wide
locations as well.

  Ryan