In the nano fourth gen. you press down on the top and the bottom of
the wheel simultaniously for six seconds then wait about ten seconds
counting slowly and press the middle of the wheel. There is no audio
feedback for this. My husband did it last night when my Ipod crashed
and it turned back on just fine but my songs were lost and I had to
resync.