you might want to consider putting windows with MS office on your Mac running
under VMWare fusion. Many people keep windows around for the use of Microsoft
office word and excel. I do all my serious word  processing work in Word until
I can make Pages suit my needs. Then again, you'd have to get used to using a
windows screen reader - I forgot you're coming from a sighted point of view.
I can only suggest that you thoroughly immerse yourself in the VoiceOver
getting started manual available in the VO help menu (command-option-H).
Learn to use VO and rely less on your diminishing sight.