Hi,
I use Dictionary on the Mac all the time. I love it and it is another one of my
favourite things about the Mac.

There's two ways I use it.

First,
I open the Dictionary app
navigate to the tool bar and interact with it
navigate to the end where the search field is, type a word and press return
Stop interacting with the tool bar and navigate to the last item, which is an
HTML area
Then I can navigate one step to the left, interact with the table and see the
search results.
On each result, I can press VO-W twice to check the spelling.
Once I have selected the word I'm interested in, I stop interacting with the
table, navigate one step right and interact with the HTML area.
Then reading the definition is just like in any other HTML area.

The second way I use the Dictionary is as follows:
>From within any application, navigate to a word and press VO-SHIFT-M to bring
>up the context menu
Navigate to 'Look up' the relevant word, which should be the first item
This will bring up the definition in a pop up window
Navigate right two steps or so and you should hear the definition read out.
Interact with it and use your VO-arrow keys to read through more carefully.

Some general tips. Select which dictionaries the app uses from within the
Dictionary Preferences. You can drag and drop to change the order/priority of
dictionaries. The dictionary which is on top will be the one displayed by
default. I use the Oxford English Dictionary as my top preference, but you
might prefer another.