Kevin,
You asked about typing and WiFi on the iPod Touch. My experience with
typing -- which I think is fairly typical -- is that it seems beyond
impossible initially. It took me just less than forever to simply
enter the password for my wireless network the night I got the thing.
I'd have told you then that I'd never get the hang of it. Never! But,
it was just a bit easier the next day, and better still the day after
that. Now, I can type a few sentences without wanting to scream or cry
or just give up. Still, I don't think this is the device for writing a
novel -- or a short story, even. But for sending a brief e-mail --
"Want to have dinner tonight? Shall we meet at 6:30 back at my place?"
-- it's pretty simple.
As for WiFi, you can set it to just get on the network at the places
you  frequent and you are good to go. I don't have much trouble in my
little town, and I'd suspect that it's largely the same most
everywhere else these days.
Howard