Hello Cheryl,

That's a lot of useful information. My Basic was purchased as a used machine
and is a V1 blue. They hadn't dreamed of USB ports back in those days. <smiles>.

This is what I got when I attempted to build the standard distribution, which
I'm sure came from the official site:

Georginas-Mac-mini:nfbtrans gena$ mv MAKEFILE Makefile
Georginas-Mac-mini:nfbtrans gena$ make lowercase
rm *.ASM NFBTRANS *.EXE *.BAT
mv README.TXT readme.txt
mv NFBTRANS.C nfbtrans.c
mv NFBPATCH.C nfbpatch.c
mv NFBTRANS.FMT nfbtrans.fmt
mv NFBTRANS.CNF nfbtrans.cnf
mv MAKEDOC makedoc
chmod 755 makedoc
mv BRAILLE.TAB braille.tab
mv BACK.TAB back.tab
mv TABLES.ZIP tables.zip
mv TVFREQS.FMT tvfreqs.fmt
mv ENGLISH.DIC english.dic
mv SPELL.DAT spell.dat
mv MENU.CNF menu.cnf
mv BCOMP.C bcomp.c
Georginas-Mac-mini:nfbtrans gena$ make
Please specify a target by entering one of the following:
make sunos
make sunos-insight
make ultrix
make aix
make linux
make djgpp
make msvc
Georginas-Mac-mini:nfbtrans gena$

BTW:
All my observations are from this Mac running Mavericks 10.9.3.

HTH

Gena

Gena
Georgina Joyce