While I realize that braille on the Mac still has plenty of room for
improvement, i am still glad to have it. For one thing, to say that it is
behind "even" compared to other graphical screenreaders fails to acknowledge
that most of the other screenreaders have been under development for years and
are being worked on by companies that concentrate on blindness or low vision
issues. So I am not thinking that I would necessarily expect voiceover's
braille to be in the lead at this point. Furthermore, I would not like to see
Apple give up on braille and leave its further progress to companies that will
charge me a great deal of money to add their products to my computer. Certainly
there are free screenreaders and certainly the need for the pricing can
honestly be debated; that is not my point. I appreciate that much useful effort
is being made and I intend to do everything I can to encourage this while at
the same time pointing out the shortcomings. I am not saying we should just
accept whatever is given because it is built in to the product without
additional cost nor am i saying we should hold the braille in Apple to a lower
standard but I am saying these factors need to be taken into account.