Hmmm.  I don't fail to acknowledge, I just don't think it's a very good excuse.
:)

I do understand what you're saying, and I'm happy in my own way with my chosen
path for all the reasons many listers on here can share, but braille support
has been here since Snow Leopard.  It has not been substantially improved since
then; in fact, about the only improvement I can see is international grade 2
braille translation, which I thought was very welcome.  iOS, on the other hand,
has seen and continues to see point updates for more braille displays, more
languages, better text input, and probably more that I've forgotten.  We've got
to face it, Mac OS's braille support isn't a priority for Apple.  GW Micro came
out with braille support last, and even they've managed to honour user demand
with their painfully slow release history, especially in recent years.  If the
Mac is going to attract blind people, it won't be because of its braille
support.  I think potential purchasers should know that.

I want to believe that Apple will revisit braille in future.  I want to believe
that even point updates can bring OS X up to speed, even to iOS, which itself
isn't all that terrific, but gets better all the time.  Right now, though, the
feeling is definitely one of mediocrity, as you've noted.  They should mark the
braille support as "Beta".