Cameron,
I had access to sighted assistance with most aspects of the actual Win 7 installation.
At times I called a friend through Skype and had them give me a hand.
Forget about XP the lowest you should be aiming for is 7.
There's an excellent podcast over at AppleVis that discusses how to install Windows totally independently via Boot-camp:
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/how-install-windows-mac-boot-camp.
Thank you,
Sadam Ahmed