Hi,

Let me just add that the wwdc this year has put a highlight on accessibility to
the developers attending or downloading the workshop videos, so saying that
apple has put accessibility to the bottom of the list is untrue. In addition,
now all standard UI controls in xcode are by default accessible. This has
engendered an effort from oracle with its javafx framework to render all their
controls accessible for both mac and windows.

When it comes to custom APIs, I remember there used to be a tool called
accessibility inspector which allows the developer to check the hierarchy of
controls and scenes in an application to see which control gives what
accessible output, or what voice over will announce. Usualy custom controls are
3D based or image based, which requires an effort from the developer to handle
what is said, how and what triggers it, which is a set of coding behaviours
that need to be placed on top of the custom control.

Cheers,