Let’s clear up a few things here.

Simon, you’re pretty much on the money but a little clarification.

ssh is a secure shell protocol.  You can tunnel through it but it’s main focus
is to allow remote access to devices over encrypted sessions.  The security
options are very good but it’s not your primary VPN technology.
        TLS which is where I think you were going is a way to secure services
and put a secure wrapper around them, a good example of this is secure SMTP
with TLS.  This allows you to use certificates and encrypt the mail session.
        For a VPN as you mentioned there are several protocols, L2TP, PPTP,
IPSEC, Open VPN and so on.  You see a lot of PPTP and L2TP involved with DSL
connections as an alternate to PPPOE or PPP over ethernet.
        IPSEC is used a lot for enterprises on hardware solutions or for point
to point also called site to site VPNs.
        There is a whole series of VPNs that use layer 2 switching technologies
and layer 3 routed technologies like MPLS to accomplish segmented networking
but that’s outside the scope of the consumer.
        SSTP / SSL / and so forth are more for securing individual services.
        Open VPN is a very good home solution that has a very high bit depth
and lots of heavy duty cypher technology to keep out the prying eyes.

Hope that helps.

> On May 25, 2016, at 4:50 AM, Simon Fogarty <si...@blinky-net.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> A VPN is virtual Private network,
>
> It is like a tunnel that connects your computer securely to your home network
> or more commonly to your work place network  through secure protocols
>
> PPTP is a transmition protocol which is used in some VPN connections, it's a
> more common protocol and if I remember correctly it's widely used in widnows
> vpn systems as Microsoft have a lot to do with it,
>
>  There is also
> L2TP,
> SSH, secure shell, probably another more common one now,
> SSTP, secure socket transfer protocol,
> The later is probably the one I'd look at if I was setting up my own VPN as
> it requires a certificate as well as log in creds,
>
> There are a number of others but it really depends on what your looking for
> and how much your willing to pay.

list.