Chris, good question, I’d counter with I’m glad that someone is thinking about
security at a deeper level than just sticking the plug in the wall and filling
in the questions in the wizard just good enough that things start to work.  So
I commend anyone on list for taking the extra step.

That being said, Chris raises a good point.  If the original poster wishes to
post what they are trying to achieve there may be other ways to get from ere to
there.  Or if the original poster is just interested in learning about VPN
technology and spinning one up and gaining the benefit of a secure connection
then I whole heartily support that as well.

To expand on this point, a few really good reasons for consumers to secure
their own connections while having nothing at all to do with work access are.

1. Secure access over public WiFi.  Bad guys can’t scrape the WiFi connections
for your credentials and gain access to your accounts.  Setting up a VPN
conceals all that data.

2. Preventing intrusion from automatic monitoring tools such as governmental
monitoring, add handling, rate shaping and other manipulations of the data
stream based on content.

3. Circumventing censorship.  In many countries the internet is not a free and
open place.  A VPN can be used to carry the connection to a place that is.
People in China or the Middle East do this frequently as an example.

Just a few legitimate uses of VPN for the individual.

You wouldn’t pay your bills using post cards, you should use envelopes for your
electronic traffic as well.

list.