The reason why I made the move to the new m-1 max chip with 64 gb of Ram is for
my machine learning projects. Until now I had to rely heavily on my uni's
supercomputer distributed spaces, which by themselves don't have much ram to
provide, which limits the capacity of my model training. To look at it with an
ML perspective, some of the highest end NVIDIA graphics cards such as the gtx
3090 have 40 GB of RAM. this is, on top, with a bus separating both CPU and
GPU. On the other hand, the M1-max is unified RAM, and considering a CPU that
may require 16 GB, I still have 48 GB theoretical available for my model
training, which is literally a dream come true, as I can prototype my AI stuff
much faster with higher resolution, and don't have to rely on an external GPU
box that guzzles more energy than a washing machine, and is not unified with
the CPU.

For this alone, the upgrade is worth it, but the second major reason for my
switch is the return to the mechanical function keys. With the touch bar,
everything was slowed considerably. All of my function key mappings to useful
and performance enhancing shortcuts were limited by the weird touch tapping
methods on the touch bar, and the sheer idiotic latency experienced when trying
to wake the damn thing up while I' in the thick of coding or something
similarly focus driven.

My two cents

Yuma

> On 25 Oct 2021, at 1:41 pm, Muhammad Fayed <m10fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A direct thing that you can notice the speed of performing image recognition
> using VO+shift+l since it is an ML feature. That should be significantly
> faster on M1 according to my experience with the same feature on iPhone 10s
> compared to 2016 MBP. It is much faster on iPhone.
>
> As Rebecca and Brad mentioned, the other key difference in purchasing
> decision is how many years of software updates to get. If Apple decided to
> cut it earlier than the number of years Brad mentioned because of the small
> number of Intel Mac users, Intel Mac users will be annoyed by that decision.
>
> Some of the other new features are specific to Apple silicon Mac like life
> text, as I remember in Mac OS 12. If it exists in both platform, it should be
> significantly faster on Apple silicon devices compared to Intel ones.
>
> HTH,
>
> Mohamed E. Fayed
>

>> On 25 Oct 2021, at 12:27 AM, 'Sabahattin Gucukoglu' via MacVisionaries
>> <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don’t think there’s any meaningful difference, personally, certainly no
>> more than would normally be expected for machines of similar benchmarks on
>> either platform. So, for instance, my 2019 iMac is more powerful than my
>> 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it feels just the same. JMO.
>>
>> I can’t wait to see Linux running on the M1 Mini. At last, a super-powered
>> small-form-factor Linux server!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sabahattin

>> Visionaries list.