Hi Courtney,

Congrats on your plans to get a keyboard dock to use with your iPod Touch. I'll cc this post to the viphone list, since there are some posters who have been interested in using the iPad keyboard dock for the iPhone 3GS. I'm not sure whether the Apple Store will carry dock extension cables, since that's the kind of item that may depend on whether they have enough space to stock it while carrying all the new iPads, iPhones, and their accessories. If you want something like the Cable Jive "dockXtender" (weird spelling) that Geoff posted about on the viphone list for use with the Otterbox Defender cases, then my guess is that you'll have to go through the manufacturer's order page:
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html
That recently released dock extender cable should work for every case -- as opposed to a lot of cables that worked for nearly every case -- just not the Otterbox Defender. Using the cable won't let you take advantage of the iPad keyboard dock's ability to support the iPod Touch on the base when docked. There are a number of iPod Touch cases that allow you to slide a bottom portion of the case off to dock, though. They include cases like the Griffin Wave and the Incase Slider. On the other hand, using a dock extender cable will allow you to use the headset and mic cables that come with the iPod Touch to control your playback and use voice control, since you can still access the headset jack at the bottom right of the iPod Touch. This iPod Touch headset jack is covered up when the iPod Touch sits in the dock, unlike the case for the iPhone 3GS and iPad where the headset jack along the top right side of the device, and so remains available even when the device is docked. If I'm listening to audio from the iPod Touch through a headset, instead of through the iPod Touch speakers, I'll connect my headset to the mini-jack port in the support base of the iPad keyboard dock. That won't allow me to control the volume and playback through the headset controls, but I can use the keyboard controls to rewind, play/pause, and fast forward, and I attach a volume control cable that you can get from Radio Shack to dial down the volume. (I'm not sure the link will work, but the product is "Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones", Model: 42-2559, Catalog #: 42-2559, with current price of $8.99, which seems more than I paid.) Web URL is:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975
When I use my iPad, I simply use the headset controls directly, or the keyboard media controls for playback (F7, F8, and F9 positions for rewind, play/pause, advance) and volume control (F10, F11, and F12 positions for mute, decrease volume, increase volume), just as on the Macbook keyboard. Since I'm more likely to use my iPad for extensive note taking an typing, this isn't an issue. I don't really need to have all the media controls through the headset mic cable if I'm actively typing, and if I'm not typing large amounts of text I'll pull the iPod Touch off of the dock. If you want more portability you might want to get the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The action of the keyboards is the same: these are both the relatively flat, chiclet type keyboards used with the current generation Macbook (Pro) laptops. Each key is separated, the "f" and "j" keys have horizontal bars to distinguish them by touch, and the key action has the relatively short travel distance of current laptop keyboards. The keyboard dock does give you a few more keys, such as the one to return to the home page, and the one to take you to the search page (first two keys in the top row, starting at the left).

HTH. Cheers,

Esther