Donna,

The copy last phrase to clipboard is one of my favorite features.  It's helpful
when traditional copy and paste doesn't seem to work.
When you use control, option, shift C, the last thing VoiceOver spoke will be
added to the clipboard.  You can then paste the text anywhere you can paste
using conventional copy and paste.
I find the VO, shift C combination to be a little tricky, so I have setup a
simpler hockey through the VoiceOver utility.
HTH

Brett C.