Hello Tim:

You've ben doing this for a long time.  You've also helped a lot of people on
this list.  So, believe me, I respect and trust your judgement.

However, when I purchased Lion last year, I did do an upgrade installation.
Believe me, I wanted to do that, also, a lot of knowledgeable people like
yourself told me it was no problem.  However, something went wrong in my case!
voiceover didn't behave well at all, moving around on web pages by heading etc,
just didn't work half the time.  I was having all kinds of problems like that.

So, I went back and did a clean install.  After that, I was much much happier.

So, when I got ml, I simply took the extra time and did the clean install and
then used the migration wizard to retrieve all my data.  I didn't really even
want to do that, because, it retrieved all my settings and preferences, so,
really, this isn't a complete fresh install.  But, so far, it's working ok.

there are a few annoying things, but, it has nothing to do with performance,
just new things voiceover says that I think we could do without

So, I guess it just boils down to whatever works for the individual person.